Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Newcastle upon Tyne and Edinburgh

Well we have been on the go for the last 3 days. Overnights in 3 towns. I have to say Shrewsbury was the nicest surprise so far. Newcastle was OK and I did get to see Walls end of Hdrian's wall. It is a ruin sight but one would have to make a bike/walk/bus tour of all the historic sites along the 80 Km wall built across this part of the UK seperating Scotland(ish) and England(ish). It was worth it to see such a historic site.First class train travel on East Coast rail is the way to go. They still have free food service when you get on and the seats are spacious and reclining. The Britrail pass has paid off just for that. We are now on the last leg of our whirlwind journey. Scotland and then home. I think we are both ready to just put our feet up for a while and digest all that we have seen and done ...and eaten. Tonight was haggis night. We are staying at an Ibis hotel just on the Ryal mile. It is a fantastic location. This is one of the chain hotels I always use when travelling. It is consistantly good service and reasonable prices for lodging.
Edinburgh is a beautiful city. We took our usual city bus tour. It is most practical for me since all the streets go uphill here: 0) Tomorrow we are considering the botanical gardens and I am check on the accessibility of the castle. We are off next to Inverness where we will spend our last 4 days before heading back to Glasgow.  From there it is Canada bound. Until my next entry.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cecile, Just leaving you a comment so you know that I am catching up on my reading. Enjoy the last leg of your trip! - Sarah E.

    ReplyDelete